Sunday, March 14, 2010

Happy Pi Day!

The math department had a pi day potluck! I was asked to bring not-pie... What they really meant was that I should bring not-dessert. I concluded that the right compromise between wanting to bring pie and being asked to bring something savory was quiche.

The crusts both came out beautifully:


I made one with bacon and one vegetarian. For the vegetarian one I borrowed my friend's pi-plate (since she was making something that was distinctly not-pi and it needed to be used) :-)

Quiche Recipe (for one quiche):
1 medium onion
~8oz chopped spinach (aka, about half of one of the 1lb bags of frozen spinach)
bacon and/or mushrooms (or, really, anything else you think would go well)
2 large handfuls grated cheese (I used mozzarella this time, cheddar works well too)
3 eggs
~1/2 cup milk

Dice the onion and saute until soft. Add the spinach and cook until thawed. Remove from heat and mix in cheese and bacon crumbles/chopped mushrooms. Dump this mixture into the pie crust. Beat the eggs with the milk and add salt and pepper to taste. Pour the egg mixture over the spinach mixture. Bake at 350 for ~45 minutes or until set. Let it cool for about 10 minutes before eating.

If you end up with more filling than will fit in your pie pan, it goes well in scrambled eggs :-)




Yesterday, that friend and I made dessert. Chocolate souffle cupcakes with white chocolate mint cream may have joined my list of favorite kinds of desserts.

2 comments:

Alanna Kellogg said...

Hi Sarah! Your pies are glorious! I have the 'pi plate' too but I love-love the pi symbol in pastry across the top, next year!

PS Thanks for delurking to let me know about the link. Tis fixed!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.