Friday, March 5, 2010

Om nom nom: Squash Bread

Yes, squash bread. Butternut squash to be more precise.

Last weekend I made a butternut squash and sweet potato tagine, based on a recipe from A Veggie Venture, though I seem to be incapable of following a recipe exactly. I altered the ratio of squash to sweet potatoes so that they were close to even and stirred in some shredded chicken I had left over from a different cooking project before adding the raisins. It was delicious and went well with both tortillas and couscous (huzzah for slight variations for leftovers).

In the process of altering the recipe, I realized that using the whole squash would have produced a rather larger batch than was reasonable (and might not have fit in my casserole dish). Instead of making a giant batch, I left ~1/3 of the squash unchopped and put it in a separate dish to bake while the tagine baked. I then ran the squash through the food processor to produce squash puree and stuck it in the fridge to determine what to do with later. During the semester I spent in Budapest I learned that I could make "pumpkin" pie from the Hungarian winter squash that I have yet to come across in the US, so I figured I could probably make some sort of "pumpkin" X from the squash puree. I was right. As a base recipe, I used Kitchen Parade's Autumn Pumpkin Bread (and bah to anyone who points out that it isn't autumn). I roughly halved the recipe (roughly, because I cut both kinds of sugar to 1/4 cup) and added a couple dashes of cloves. Oh, I also replaced 1/2 cup of the flour with whole wheat flour (since I happen to have it around). With my small (but wonderful) loaf pans, the half recipe made two loaves. They both came out as gorgeous as they are delicious.

No comments: