Monday, August 16, 2010

Daring Cooks: Pierogi!

This should have gone up a couple days ago, but life got busy :-)

The August 2010 Daring Cooks‟ Challenge was hosted by LizG of Bits n' Bites and Anula of Anula's Kitchen. They chose to challenge Daring Cooks to make pierogi from scratch and an optional challenge to provide one filling that best represents their locale. You can find the pdf with the recipes here.

I started with the Russian Style Pierogi recipe and replaced the bacon with Kielbasa sausage. I used red potatoes and apparently didn't cook them long enough because they really didn't want to mash. When I got the filling mixed up (minus the egg, which I simply forgot) I realized that what I had was a lovely potato salad, not something I could stuff in pierogies.

I fixed this problem by running the mixture through the food processor. This approach worked quite well.

The dough was lovely to work with (although I will admit that I was skeptical before it got to sit for 20 minutes - that step is important). I ate them with sour cream - they were quite tasty.

I've been playing with peaches all summer, so the logical choice for a local pierogi was something peach. I chopped up a peach and mixed it with some of my left over cottage cheese and a little sugar and stuffed that in the dough (and ate it with sweetened sour cream).

In the future I would add a bit of flour or cornstarch to any kind of peach filling since the peaches release a lot of juice as they cook. The result wasn't bad but it wasn't anything special either. I think I might try it with a creamier cheese and possibly with the addition of cinnamon and/or cardamom.

No comments: